Celebrate Earth Day 2017
Saturday April, 22 is Earth Day. Celebrations are happening throughout the state from Panama City, St. Augustine, Orlando, Miami, Key West and more. It’s a day to raise awareness about the earth’s environment and the importance of keeping it clean.
“No matter what your thoughts on climate change, being a good steward of our planet is responsible,” says Ellsworth Buck, Vice President of GreatFlorida Insurance, Florida’s largest independent homeowner’s insurance agency.
Below are some easy and meaningful ways to celebrate Earth Day.
- Ditch the plastic water bottle for a reusable one and fill it up before you leave the house Earthday.org reports, “300 million tons of plastic are produced each year to make bags, bottles, packages and other commodities for people all over the world. Unfortunately, only about ten percent of this plastic is properly recycled and reused. The rest ends up as waste in landfills or as littler in our natural environment.”
- Bring your own reusable bags to the store. Some stores offer a discount for using your own bag.
- Plant a garden. If your space is limited or this sounds intimidating, trying planting in a container.
- Donate unused clothing and household items
- Buy a houseplant to help clean the air
- Build a birdhouse
- Try a solar phone charger
- Sign-up for paperless billing
- Take off your shoes at the door, this prevents chemicals from being tracked all over your home from your shoes.
- Ride your bike or walk if possible
- Put a pool cover on your pool when you are not using it. This keeps the water cleaner and will prevent water from evaporating saving on refills.
Every family can find ways to implement eco-friendly habits that fit in with their family’s lifestyle. This Saturday, take a hike, plan a picnic or go to the park and enjoy the outdoors.